Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Whatcha Craving

I'm getting over the worst case of Strep in the history of, well, my whole life. Ugh. I have never been so achy and miserable. Jordan said that I hurt all the way to my fingernails. He was right. Migraines, back aches, neckaches... and no amount of food was staying in or out. Tonight was the first time I've been able to think about food of any kind. This was a good sign because for the last few days I couldn't even watch Food Network without gagging. You don't realize how much our world revolves around food until you can't stand the sight of it.

I overheard a sweet young couple talking about their love for Taco Villa tonight. Suddenly, that sounded wonderful! I found myself wanting to know what they order rather than running for the porcelain throne. On my drive home I made a stop by that house of tacos to order my combination burrito with green sauce and a quadaladara. It got me thinking about cravings. How they can be a good thing.

Jordan and I are on the leadership team with a re-launch of a ministry. It's taken me completely out of my comfort zone and it feels a bit like I got zapped back into my life in 2006. It's been thrilling and nerve-wrecking simultaneously. I've decided that in an adventure like this one, you start to learn what your spirit and soul actually craves.

So many of us know what we do and don't want out of our jobs, church and relationships. But it's very difficult to express what we DO want. Tonight when a that a combo burrito with green sauce sounded delish (and I drove myself there with no one else in the car) I realized that I had just pinpointed a craving and went with it under no other person's direction. Eureka!

Maybe that's the key. Maybe we all need to take a break or fast (hopefully yours will not be a sickness like mine) and then reintroduce our silly selves to the big world of food. AKA: Life. Choices. Preferences. And think about what we really want! Rather than criticizing all the things we don't like-discover what we DO like. Then hop on our merry ways and go get it. If we don't like our choice, just try again. Let's let all the junk of the world telling us what we like fade away and run after the stuff that makes us tick. Maybe we will discover who we were created to be? Maybe we will find the thing we've been trying to like-we really hate? Either way, let's be our uniquely wonderful selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment