Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just try it

 It probably comes somewhere in high school or middle school when get that comparison funk all over us and we think that every single person is watching our every move. And not only watching our every move, caring about everything we do! Which is pretty funny because the truth is most likely the opposite: they are too concerned with themselves to even notice us!

If we never decide that we will walk in our value and be ourselves we will waste hours, days and years consuming our lives with people pleasing. When instead, we can wake up each morning and say, "I am me and I have a responsibility to be the best me I can be." No one else can be who we are. God can only be God and therefore I must be me.
But maybe that's easier said than done for some. I think that's because we may not know how to be ourselves. "Who am I created to be?" "What am I uniquely called to be?" That was a burning question in my heart from my earliest memories. 

If you want to know what you are called to be, try asking yourself/doing the following:
1. What do I enjoy doing?
2. What do I spend most of my time thinking about?
3. What have those I trust and love said about my strengths?
4. What are my weaknesses? (Sometimes the thing we are worst at is actually the thing we are best at on the opposite spectrum.)
5. Gather magazines that you like and cut out pictures that fit your personality and things you love.
6. Go on a walk by yourself and ask the Lord, "What have you called me to do?"
7. Is what you like to do something that can help others?

The key to being your best self is to make a decision in your mind that draws a line in the sand. A decision that says, " I do not care what other people think." So many times the thing that is keeping us from our heart's desire is being to afraid that we will look stupid trying. 

Think about this next time you might feel stupid being yourself or trying something new, "Won't it be more stupid if I never try?"

Ask God who He made you to be. When you think you hear something, don't forget step number 8:

8. Try it out! Do what's in your heart!

I'd love to hear how it goes... you might be onto the best idea the world has ever seen!

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment